Duties of the Register of Deeds
The office records land deed and mortgage information into the official public record. Additionally the Register of Deeds provides free access to these records through computer terminals.
Office of the Register of Deeds
Register of Deeds
311 S. Morenci St.
PO Box 399
Mio, MI 48647
Chief Deputy Register of Deeds
Phone: (989) 826-1116
Fax: (989) 826-1156
Deputy Register of Deeds
Phone: (989) 826-1117
Fax: (989) 826-1156
Hours of Operation
Mon – Fri: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Closed for Lunch 12 – 1 p.m
- Signatures must be original and names must be typed, stamped or printed beneath all written signatures. MCLA 565.201(a)(e)
- No discrepancy in the names shall exist between the printed names of such person, as appears either in the body of the instrument, the signature, the acknowledgment or jurat. MCLA 565.201(b)
- Documents must be legibly printed/typed in black ink on white paper with at least 10-point type. MCLA 565.201
- The addresses of all parties must appear on any instrument by which title to any interest therein is conveyed, assigned, encumbered or otherwise disposed of. MCLA 565.201(a)(f)
- The name and address of the person who drafted the document must appear on the documents executed in Michigan.
- Documents purporting to convey or encumber real estate executed in the State of Michigan before March 4, 2002, must contain two (2) witness signatures and an acknowledgement by a notary public. After March 4, 2002, documents executed in Michigan need only contain an acknowledgment by a notary public. MCLA 565.8
- Survivor deed or survivor mortgage shall be accompanied by a certified copy of the death certificate, or shall show by Liber and Page reference that the death certificate has been recorded in the Register of Deeds office. MCLA 565.48
- Court orders must be certified and sealed by the clerk of the court to be eligible for recording, unless otherwise ordered by the court. MCLA 565.401, 565.411
- Documents executed in the State of Michigan after April 1, 1997, must have a 2 1/2 inch top margin and all other margins are 1/2 inch. Exemptions to this include certified documents, surveys and land corners.
- Documents must display on the first line of print on the first page, a single statement identifying the recordable event that the instrument evidences. MCLA 565.201 Sec 1
- The paper on which the document is printed must be white and not less thean 20-poind weight. MCLA 565.201 Sec. 1
- The size of the document and any attachment thereto must be at aleast 8.5 inches by 11 inches; at most 8.5 inches by 14 inches. MCLA 565.201 Sec. 1
- Unless required by state or federal law or court order, no more than 4 sequential digits of any social security number may appear on the instrument. MCLA 565.201
- Instruments shall not purport to evidence more than one recordable event. MCLA 565.301 (3)
- The name of the notary public must be legibly printed, typed, stamped near the signature of the notary.
For entering and Recording any Deed, Mortgage, Lis Pendens, Certified copy,, or other instrument:
Recording Fee: $30.00*
Assignment and Discharge Fees:
For any document which assigns or discharges more than one instrument $3.00 shall be added to the recording fee for each additional instrument so assigned or discharged.
Warranty Deeds – Land Contracts:
A $5.00 tax certificate must be obtained from the County Treasure’s Office prior to recording any of the following:
Warranty Deed and any Deed which contains a covenant of warranty.
Land Contract or Assignment of Land Contract.
Copy and Search Fees
Real Estate Record copy: $1.00 per page
Fee to Certify:
Certify a recorded document: $5.00
Searching the Real Estate Record per name: $0.50 per name -$5.00 minimum fee.
- Return Envelopes are appreciated.
- Documents that do not meet the requirements, including documents with more than one title, will be rejected.
- Common document errors include incorrect fee, missing individual drafter name, names not typed beneath signatures, margins are too narrow, and notarial certificate incomplete.